Family Travel Tips from Middletown Honda
Tips for Increasing Fun and Decreasing Stress on Family Road Trips
Traveling on a road trip with children can be difficult, regardless of whether it lasts four hours or four days. Boredom and back seat squabbling often set in even before you’ve reached the city limits. Here at Middletown Honda, your trusted auto dealer in Middletown, NY, we want to share a few ideas for making the journey less taxing and more enjoyable.
Games, Activities, and Frequent Stops Help to Pass the Time
- Stopping every two hours or so to either take a meal or bathroom break — or even just to stretch your legs — breaks up a trip into manageable chunks. Highway rest stops often have small parks where children can run around to work some out some of their extra energy.
- Activity books can be found at dollar stores and grocery markets. Throw in a box of crayons (markers may be a bad idea when you can’t supervise) and kids can flex their creative muscles while keeping themselves occupied.
- Picture books are also great because they can include family members who may be fresh to reading. Books like I Spy or Where’s Waldo can engage readers for much longer and are also a great team exercise for kids.
- Games are not only fun but also a great way to include the whole family. Possible games include a spelling bee run by the adults, round robin storytelling, trivia, and I Spy. A printable road trip bingo card is also a stand-by classic.
- Keep your kids informed on the road trip by researching and telling them about the areas you’re passing through. A personal road map that they can use to keep track of the car’s journey will help them see that progress is actually being made!
We’re Here for You, Before You Leave or When You Come Back
A quick tune-up for your car is never a bad idea before a road trip. Our service department offers oil changes, filter replacement, and other services that will give you more confidence in your vehicle’s ability to deliver your family safely and smoothly to your destination. If you would like to speak to our service or sales staff, please don’t hesitate to give us a call.