How to Take Care of Leather Car Seats
It’s important for car owners to take good care of their vehicles, from cleaning your windshield to cleaning your seats. If your vehicle has leather seats or leather-trimmed seats, ensuring these are cleaned and properly maintained can ensure they keep their quality for a long time. However, what most Monticello drivers don’t realize is that there are certain ways to properly clean and care for leather, and if you don’t follow the following specific guidelines, you could end up doing more damage to your vehicle.
Watch for Perforations
Some leather seating comes with perforated material that is meant to deliver more comfort. However, if your car has perforated leather seats, you need to ensure that no water or liquid cleaning material gets into those perforations. This could cause damage to the leather, so keep this into consideration.
Read the Manual
Some vehicle manufacturers provide specific instructions on how to care for their leather seats, so be sure to check the manual to see if there are specific care instructions. Often these will tell you the best way to clean the leather as well as what products are good or bad for the material. Knowing this will ensure your leather seats last a long time.
How To Clean Leather Seats
When cleaning your leather seats, start by using your cleaner with a microfiber cloth. These cloths are designed to be softer to the touch and not abrasive, which means your leather will not be torn or scratched during the cleaning. If you have stains that are hard to remove, consider using a soft bristle brush to help work up the debris. Follow the steps below to get your leather seats as clean as possible:
- See if your seats are perforated if so be sure not to get water into those holes.
- Vaccum the seats, get rid of dirt and debris.
- Remove smaller dirt and debris that the vacuum did not get.
- Use a brush and cleaner to deep clean the seats.
- Wipe the seats clean after brushing away all dirt.
- Regularly clean your seats, it’s easy to maintain the clean if you brush them regularly.
- Get a water-based, pH neutral conditioner, the goal here is to replenish the natural oils of the leather.
- Perform a spot test with your conditioner, make sure it doesn’t damage your seats.
- Condition your seats using a microfiber cloth.
- Park your car in the shade or garage overnight, giving the conditioner a chance to cure without UV rays.
- Once the conditioner is cured, use a microfiber to buff your seats and wipe away any excess conditioner.
- Enjoy your like-new leather seats.
Additional Tips for Caring for Your Leather Seats
Compiling a leather seat cleaning kit can be a great way to simplify the process of cleaning your Honda:
- Put a kit together: cleaning your leather seats can become part of your car wash routine. Put a kit together and keep it in a bucket in your garage. This way, everything is there when you need it. Your kit should include:
- Microfiber rags, disposable shop cloths, or another lint-free cloth
- A quality, soft-bristled brush
- A leather or vinyl cleaner, one that is free of petroleum solvents, silicone oils, or gloss agents
- A leather conditioner
- Clean the seats: the first step is applying the cleaner. Following the directions on the bottle, apply it with the brush. When using the brush, work gently; don’t scrub. An agitating motion will help to open the pores in the leather, helping you to pull out grime, as well as prime the surface for the conditioner.
- Apply the conditioner: your leather likes to stay hydrated, which is why conditioner is important. It helps to prevent cracking, as well as fading. Apply according to the directions on the bottle.
Find Leather Seat Care Tips at Middletown Honda
When Monroe and Goshen drivers are interested in a new vehicle that delivers leather seats, be sure to check out Middletown Honda. We have an extensive selection of vehicles that come standard with high-quality and comfortable leather seats to make your driving experience more enjoyable. Visit our dealership to learn more about everything from Honda Accord leather seat care to checking your tire tread. You can also contact us online or by calling (855) 473-3050 to schedule a service appointment.
More From Middletown Honda
The 2021 Honda Pilot midsize family SUV is a stylish alternative to a traditional mini van with an array of comforting features. Here are some of the best features Honda Pilot has to offer: Best 2021 Honda Pilot Features Up to 8 Leather Seats Honda Sensing Suite Heated and Ventilated Front Seats Blind Spot Information…
The 2021 Honda CR-V is a best-selling SUV in the Monroe area, but just how much can a Honda CR-V tow for 2021? The latest model has a towing capacity of 1,500 pounds when properly equipped, along with a payload capacity of 850 pounds. Learn all about the impressive towing features and technologies with…
If you’re searching for a sedan that’s friendly at the pump as you’re commuting around Monroe and Warwick, you may be asking yourself, “Is the new Honda Civic fuel-efficient? The entry-level Honda Civic-the Civic LX sedan with a CVT-garners an impressive fuel economy of 30 mpg city/38 mpg highway*. You’ll enjoy the fuel-efficiency you need…
Fierce personality and sleek design – that’s the 2021 Honda Civic. Here are some of the top features that make this sedan one of the most exciting and comfortable cars on the road: Attractive Features Honda Sensing Suite Collision Mitigation Braking System Road Departure Mitigation System 174 Horsepower 3 Angle Rear View Camera (normal, top…
When it comes to the 2021 Honda Odyssey safety ratings have come in, and the notable Odyssey safety features have contributed to the 2021 Odyssey being chosen by the IIHS (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety) as their top safety pick for 2020. It was the only minivan to receive a top award this year. Learn…
Finding the right SUV for you and your family in Middletown is crucial. Fortunately, the 2021 Honda Pilot is spacious and powerful! Its impressive towing capacity will make you feel confident when hauling a boat or trailer out to Monroe. The Honda Pilot also comes standard with a range of intuitive towing features to ensure a…