Tips for Traveling with Pets
Most of us consider our pet a part of the family and prefer to take them with us when embarking on a long road trip. Traveling with a pet can present some unique challenges, but if you follow these tips you can ensure you have a safe road trip in your new or used vehicle with your furry friend.
Pet Travel Tips
- If you plan on traveling with your pet at any point the best thing you can do is to get them comfortable with riding in the car. Start by taking them on short trips to see how they react. Some pets love going for rides while others get motion sick or get extremely anxious. If you find your pet is suffering from anxiety, consult with your vet.
- If you plan on your pet traveling with you, they should always ride in the backseat to avoid injury if an airbag is deployed.
- If you are traveling with a cat, consider getting a pet travel carrier or pet travel bag. Not only does this make many of them feel safer, it also can prevent your cat from crawling across you or by your feet while driving and causing a dangerous situation. Make sure the cat is used to being in it before heading out, and secure the carrier with the seatbelt.
- When traveling with dogs, you can purchase a dog travel crate or try a harness that will allow you to buckle them up. If you opt for a harness, make sure the harness allows them some mobility but fits them comfortably so they cannot slip out of it.
- Make sure your pet is wearing a collar with an up to date ID tag on it, just in case they manage to get out. Also, bring along your pet’s medical records in the event they need treatment.
- When bringing your pet traveling, make sure to pack a portable water bowl and bottled water. It’s also a great idea to bring along a toy, pillow, or blanket you pet likes to comfort them. If you are traveling with dogs, you will want to also include waste bags and a leash. If you have a cat, make sure to pack a small litter box and some litter for longer trips.
- When traveling with dogs, try not to let them hang their heads out of the window — they could get hit with something, and wind and cold air can potentially cause inner ear damage. Instead, try cracking the window open a bit so they can smell the outside air without risking injury.
- Stop frequently to allow your pet to stretch out and relieve themselves. Always keep them on a leash. If you have to leave your pet alone in the vehicle, such as to use the bathroom yourself, only do so for very short periods of time. Always park in the shade on hot days.
- Try to feed your pet three or four hours before leaving to avoid motion sickness.
Get Prepared for Your Trip With Middletown Honda Today
When you are getting ready for your next road trip, turn to Middletown Honda for tips and activities to make your trip more enjoyable. Contact us for more road trip advice, and for emergency preparedness tips for when you are on the road!
More From Middletown Honda
This July the new remodeled Honda CR-V will be here and fresh for the summer. This vehicle has a complete upgrade with the interior and exterior. The interior takes specs from the 2022 Honda Civic, having a sleek honeycomb dash and vents. Redesigned middle console front the previous years, Orange stitching in the seating, the…
The new remodeled HR-V has just been released and is available in Honda Dealerships in the US. The new vehicle is more modernized and futuristic. It has a rounded front grille, unique interior cloth on the seats, and updates head and tail lights. It comes with an updated interior similar to the new Honda civic….
The new remodeled 2023 Honda CR-V, and the best selling Honda, will be making an appearance late this summer. Along with the new CR-V Hybrid. It has EPA combined fuel economy. The new remodeled CR-V is newly updated, with a more rugged look. It grew a bit in size as well, which suggests that there…
The year of the SUV. Honda is introducing all new HR-V, CR-V and Pilot remodels. Each model looking a bit bigger and sharper. With the future intentions to electrify most vehicles, with Honda coming out in the future – CR-V hybrid, Civic Hybrid and Accord Hybrid remodel, in the coming years. This summer be on…
The new recent sketch of the 2024 Honda Prologue has been released. The newly sketched up 2024 Honda Prologue Electric Vehicle has been released and shows a very simplistic design. This is the first insight on what this new electric vehicle will look like. It has similar qualities of the new releases of other Honda…