Tips for Traveling with Pets
Most of us consider our pet a part of the family and prefer to take them with us when embarking on a long road trip. Traveling with a pet can present some unique challenges, but if you follow these tips you can ensure you have a safe road trip in your new or used vehicle with your furry friend.
Pet Travel Tips
- If you plan on traveling with your pet at any point the best thing you can do is to get them comfortable with riding in the car. Start by taking them on short trips to see how they react. Some pets love going for rides while others get motion sick or get extremely anxious. If you find your pet is suffering from anxiety, consult with your vet.
- If you plan on your pet traveling with you, they should always ride in the backseat to avoid injury if an airbag is deployed.
- If you are traveling with a cat, consider getting a pet travel carrier or pet travel bag. Not only does this make many of them feel safer, it also can prevent your cat from crawling across you or by your feet while driving and causing a dangerous situation. Make sure the cat is used to being in it before heading out, and secure the carrier with the seatbelt.
- When traveling with dogs, you can purchase a dog travel crate or try a harness that will allow you to buckle them up. If you opt for a harness, make sure the harness allows them some mobility but fits them comfortably so they cannot slip out of it.
- Make sure your pet is wearing a collar with an up to date ID tag on it, just in case they manage to get out. Also, bring along your pet’s medical records in the event they need treatment.
- When bringing your pet traveling, make sure to pack a portable water bowl and bottled water. It’s also a great idea to bring along a toy, pillow, or blanket you pet likes to comfort them. If you are traveling with dogs, you will want to also include waste bags and a leash. If you have a cat, make sure to pack a small litter box and some litter for longer trips.
- When traveling with dogs, try not to let them hang their heads out of the window — they could get hit with something, and wind and cold air can potentially cause inner ear damage. Instead, try cracking the window open a bit so they can smell the outside air without risking injury.
- Stop frequently to allow your pet to stretch out and relieve themselves. Always keep them on a leash. If you have to leave your pet alone in the vehicle, such as to use the bathroom yourself, only do so for very short periods of time. Always park in the shade on hot days.
- Try to feed your pet three or four hours before leaving to avoid motion sickness.
Get Prepared for Your Trip With Middletown Honda Today
When you are getting ready for your next road trip, turn to Middletown Honda for tips and activities to make your trip more enjoyable. Contact us for more road trip advice, and for emergency preparedness tips for when you are on the road!
More From Middletown Honda
The redesigned 2020 Honda CR-V has a redesigned exterior and interior to give it a striking new style and help you store more goods in your crossover. With additional cargo room and excellent performance features, the 2020 CR-V is ready to take you and your family on the adventure of a lifetime around Middletown. Explore…
Are you looking for a vehicle that delivers excellent towing capabilities without sacrificing engine performance? The 2020 Honda Pilot is here to make your toughest towing jobs easier! Learn more about our financing options and the towing capabilities of the new Honda Pilot with our team of experts at Middletown Honda. View InventoryContact Us What is…
Capable and comfortable, the Honda Ridgeline pairs everyday drivability and rugged utility to fulfill all your pickup trucks wishes. To further enhance the performance of the Ridgeline, Goshen shoppers will find a variety of 2019 Honda Ridgeline accessories and packages available at Middletown Honda in Middletown. Learn More View InventoryContact Us Honda Ridgeline Accessories: Interior The…
Ready to upgrade to a safe and reliable SUV for your family in Monroe? The 2019 Honda CR-V safety ratings and features are sure to get your attention. Explore the Honda CR-V safety rating and features at Middletown Honda, then visit our Middletown showroom to find a new Honda CR-V for sale! Learn More New CR-V…
The 2019 Honda Accord comes with a variety of color choices from classic to bold. Whether you are interested in adding a splash of color with a blue or red or sticking to a classic black or white, you can do it in the new Accord. Browse the Accord color options at Middletown Honda and build…