Tips for Traveling with Pets
Most of us consider our pet a part of the family and prefer to take them with us when embarking on a long road trip. Traveling with a pet can present some unique challenges, but if you follow these tips you can ensure you have a safe road trip in your new or used vehicle with your furry friend.
Pet Travel Tips
- If you plan on traveling with your pet at any point the best thing you can do is to get them comfortable with riding in the car. Start by taking them on short trips to see how they react. Some pets love going for rides while others get motion sick or get extremely anxious. If you find your pet is suffering from anxiety, consult with your vet.
- If you plan on your pet traveling with you, they should always ride in the backseat to avoid injury if an airbag is deployed.
- If you are traveling with a cat, consider getting a pet travel carrier or pet travel bag. Not only does this make many of them feel safer, it also can prevent your cat from crawling across you or by your feet while driving and causing a dangerous situation. Make sure the cat is used to being in it before heading out, and secure the carrier with the seatbelt.
- When traveling with dogs, you can purchase a dog travel crate or try a harness that will allow you to buckle them up. If you opt for a harness, make sure the harness allows them some mobility but fits them comfortably so they cannot slip out of it.
- Make sure your pet is wearing a collar with an up to date ID tag on it, just in case they manage to get out. Also, bring along your pet’s medical records in the event they need treatment.
- When bringing your pet traveling, make sure to pack a portable water bowl and bottled water. It’s also a great idea to bring along a toy, pillow, or blanket you pet likes to comfort them. If you are traveling with dogs, you will want to also include waste bags and a leash. If you have a cat, make sure to pack a small litter box and some litter for longer trips.
- When traveling with dogs, try not to let them hang their heads out of the window — they could get hit with something, and wind and cold air can potentially cause inner ear damage. Instead, try cracking the window open a bit so they can smell the outside air without risking injury.
- Stop frequently to allow your pet to stretch out and relieve themselves. Always keep them on a leash. If you have to leave your pet alone in the vehicle, such as to use the bathroom yourself, only do so for very short periods of time. Always park in the shade on hot days.
- Try to feed your pet three or four hours before leaving to avoid motion sickness.
Get Prepared for Your Trip With Middletown Honda Today
When you are getting ready for your next road trip, turn to Middletown Honda for tips and activities to make your trip more enjoyable. Contact us for more road trip advice, and for emergency preparedness tips for when you are on the road!
More From Middletown Honda
The 2020 Honda Passport reviews celebrate this Honda crossover’s commitment to efficiency, innovation, and more, highlighting in particular its spacious interior and cargo space. If you’ve been shopping for a new SUV in Middletown, read what professional auto critics are saying about this exciting model. View Passport Inventory What are the 2020 Honda Passport Reviews…
Looking for a vehicle that combines the fuel economy of a sedan like the Civic with the generous cargo space of an SUV? The 2020 Honda HR-V subcompact crossover offers one of the most spacious cargo holds in its class, as well as excellent gas mileage and sporty handling. With the wide range of Honda…
As you shop for a new SUV in Monroe, it’s essential that you learn about the models you have in mind. At Middletown Honda, we want to help you find the new Honda that’s right for you. Like many motorists, you want to get the most for your money, so fuel efficiency may factor into your…
If you’re looking for a compact crossover SUV that is fun to drive and will keep you safe on Middletown roads, take a look at the 2020 Honda HR-V. Capable and well-equipped with a plethora of features, the HR-V has earned solid crash test scores from the top auto industry safety agencies. To learn more about…
The Honda Civic has built a reputation on its safety and reliability, and the 2020 Honda Civic continues to exceed those high expectations. Check out the Honda Civic safety ratings and features below, and then if you’re interested in a new Civic, explore our new Civic inventory at Middletown Honda! Honda Civic Inventory Contact Us Honda Civic…