Tips for Traveling with Pets
Most of us consider our pet a part of the family and prefer to take them with us when embarking on a long road trip. Traveling with a pet can present some unique challenges, but if you follow these tips you can ensure you have a safe road trip in your new or used vehicle with your furry friend.
Pet Travel Tips
- If you plan on traveling with your pet at any point the best thing you can do is to get them comfortable with riding in the car. Start by taking them on short trips to see how they react. Some pets love going for rides while others get motion sick or get extremely anxious. If you find your pet is suffering from anxiety, consult with your vet.
- If you plan on your pet traveling with you, they should always ride in the backseat to avoid injury if an airbag is deployed.
- If you are traveling with a cat, consider getting a pet travel carrier or pet travel bag. Not only does this make many of them feel safer, it also can prevent your cat from crawling across you or by your feet while driving and causing a dangerous situation. Make sure the cat is used to being in it before heading out, and secure the carrier with the seatbelt.
- When traveling with dogs, you can purchase a dog travel crate or try a harness that will allow you to buckle them up. If you opt for a harness, make sure the harness allows them some mobility but fits them comfortably so they cannot slip out of it.
- Make sure your pet is wearing a collar with an up to date ID tag on it, just in case they manage to get out. Also, bring along your pet’s medical records in the event they need treatment.
- When bringing your pet traveling, make sure to pack a portable water bowl and bottled water. It’s also a great idea to bring along a toy, pillow, or blanket you pet likes to comfort them. If you are traveling with dogs, you will want to also include waste bags and a leash. If you have a cat, make sure to pack a small litter box and some litter for longer trips.
- When traveling with dogs, try not to let them hang their heads out of the window — they could get hit with something, and wind and cold air can potentially cause inner ear damage. Instead, try cracking the window open a bit so they can smell the outside air without risking injury.
- Stop frequently to allow your pet to stretch out and relieve themselves. Always keep them on a leash. If you have to leave your pet alone in the vehicle, such as to use the bathroom yourself, only do so for very short periods of time. Always park in the shade on hot days.
- Try to feed your pet three or four hours before leaving to avoid motion sickness.
Get Prepared for Your Trip With Middletown Honda Today
When you are getting ready for your next road trip, turn to Middletown Honda for tips and activities to make your trip more enjoyable. Contact us for more road trip advice, and for emergency preparedness tips for when you are on the road!
More From Middletown Honda
Our Middletown customers love to have options. Fortunately for them, and for you, the 2020 Honda CR-V comes in your choice of four incredible trims. Each of the Honda CR-V configurations offer an abundance of features, and they just get better as you move up the trim levels. We like our customers to make informed…
If you like to work hard during the week, and play hard on the weekends, the Honda CR-V towing capabilities are here to help by offering 1,500-pounds of power. Sometimes that involves towing a small boat, an ATV, or a jet ski. Can the newHonda CR-V handle something like that? Learn more about how much…
The 2021 Honda Pilot interior is packed with plenty of space along with some great features. Drivers from Monroe to Warwick are taking advantage of the spacious Honda Pilot dimensions on their daily commutes. With extra legroom among other features, you’ll be able to bring all of your passengers with room to spare. The 2021…
Honda drivers in Monroe know that safety is one of the many things Honda vehicles excel at. So, what is the Honda Sensing®? Along with the excellent safety ratings of new Honda vehicles, the Honda Sensing® package is more proof of the car brand’s commitment to keeping drivers safe on %target_city_2%% roads.Thanks to the array…
The 2020 Honda Passport reviews celebrate this Honda crossover’s commitment to efficiency, innovation, and more, highlighting in particular its spacious interior and cargo space. If you’ve been shopping for a new SUV in Middletown, read what professional auto critics are saying about this exciting model. View Passport Inventory What are the 2020 Honda Passport Reviews…